{mis-sion-ary, [noun] someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others can be with theirs for eternity}

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Lessons Learned

One of the most frequent questions I've gotten the last week is what I've learned since being here! Wow, that's a loaded question!
The number one thing that I've learned since I've been here is that Christ's atonement is so much more personal than I ever knew it was! I knew it was personal and I knew that He knew me and loved me, but I've never had a stronger relationship with my Savior than I do right now. He's been able to help me see how to help these people! His atonement provides that knowledge because He's been there and He's felt what they feel! He just wants them to come to Him. I knew coming on a mission would be hard work, but I thought that having a solid testimony would make it easier. What a rude awakening to realize that my so-called strong testimony needed a lot more strength. And man, being in these sacred places has really added to that testimony that I have!
I've never had to rely on Christ more than I have here in New York! I have to rely on Him to help me make my teaching powerful and clear so that all these people that I meet can FEEL the truthfulness of this gospel. I have to rely on Him to make sure that my testimony is where it needs to be so that when I have to constantly bear testimony to all these people that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. That through him and the restored priesthood, we have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I never knew how much I needed to rely on Him.
But now I know! Christ has become my best friend. He's never left my side!
I feel the love that He has for all these people that I get to meet with. WOW!! There is nothing more powerful than feeling that Christ-like love for these people who don't even know that love is there! And to feel that love for people who push your buttons to the limit, Who frustrate you because they don't keep commitments, who can't seem to grasp the concept that we aren't just asking them to do these things just to do them. To feel the love for them despite those frustrations is the most miraculous thing I've ever experienced!
This week has been a really good week! We've been able to see some miracles here in Irondequoit. We met a Jehovah's Witness who wanted to meet with us, so we've been preparing for that. But we've also been trying to meet with members in the ward to get to know them all. We were planning on going to visit with this one sister after church sunday, but she was sick and we didn't know what which member we wanted to see instead. All of a sudden, this cute senior sister comes up to us and starts talking about how she was a Jehovah's Witness for 25 years. Out of no where she brings this up! WHAT A MIRACLE!!:) so we got to talk to her after church to learn a bit more about JW's and it was super useful!
Today, A bunch of us sisters are going to Nick Taho's. It's a place here in Rochester. They have a local food called a garbage plate. It doesn't sound too appetizing from the name, but I've heard they're actually super good so I'm super excited to go get one! You'll have to look them up!:)
i was reading a talk by Elder Holland today because he'll be coming to the mission next month (right before my birthday!!:) ). It's called laborers in the vineyard! It's a super good talk and everyone should read it! But I'll just share a thought from it! "However late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don't have, or however far from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have NOT traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ's Atonement shines." Talk about powerful!:) Elder Holland is such an amazing speaker! That quote applies to everyone! Christ's atonement is there for each of you on such a personal level that I can't even explain it! USE IT!!!! There is no more beautiful gift than the gift that Christ provided for us! Don't let that gift go to waste!!!
I love you all and hope this week is fabulous!!
Love Sister Nield







No comments:

Post a Comment