{mis-sion-ary, [noun] someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others can be with theirs for eternity}

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Let Your Light Shine!‏

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere we go. (Sing in a loud obnoxious voice and pretend that I can sing it as a missionary)

Well folks. It's not really beginning to look like Christmas since it's about 60 degrees right now but we got our first snow last week! I may or may not have cried. Jk I didn't cry. I just had to turn on some Christmas hymns to keep from crying. It's almost worse than Cache Valley here in New York. One minute it's sunny, the next it's dumping snow, and the next it's sunny again while its continuing to snow. Talk about bipolar weather. If it could stay fall forever I wouldn't complain! But winter does mean Christmas which means people are in the spirit to talk about Christ more which makes missionary work just a tad bit easier! And mama, I don't know what I want for Christmas. Sorry.. Surprise me!:)
Ok now down to business! What a stellar week! So transfers happened and I am staying in Irondequoit as you know. I'm really happy to be staying! I love this area, I love the ward, I love the people that I meet, I love my district. This is home! And some miracles are really starting to take off!
One of my favorites is the family were teaching right now! What a blessing to be able to have met them! They're so prepared and they don't even realize it! This gospel is exactly what they need! So after our appointment with them last week (which was super intense. Sister Rogers explains it like drinking from a fire hose but I LOVED IT!) They come from a catholic background and they are genuinely seeking for greater light! Guess who has that light? I do!!:) And they don't want to jump into anything without making an informed decision which is great! They just need to act on the commitments we give. When I asked Steve what it would mean for him if the Book of Mormon was true and if Joseph Smith was a prophet, he gave the golden answer. He said, I'd want to get as involved as possible and share it with others! Well after that intense discussion about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and a whole array of questions, we got invited back for Sunday dinner! They made homemade spaghetti (YUM). We started talking about the Plan of Salvation and somehow we ended up teaching tithing and the Word of Wisdom! Haha it's so funny how Christ has been preparing them! Veronica is allergic to alcohol as of about 2 years ago and hates cigarette smoke and thinks it's disgusting. and Steve quit smoking when their first son was born 12 years ago and has had a case of beer in the frige for about a month and a half and hasn't touched it. Haha he says he hasn't felt the need to drink. But he likes his wine but said he'd give it up if he knew Joseph Smith was a prophet. The real struggle with him is coffee. Haha they asked if they could come to church with us Sunday and he asked if there would be a break somewhere in the 3 hours that he could get a cup of coffee! Haha he's not too thrilled that we don't drink coffee, but once he knows Joseph Smith is a prophet, that won't even matter!
As a mission, were really cracking down on making sure people are being invited to be baptized no later than the 2nd visit. I've heard a few people talking about how that can be awkward for some people, but honestly it's so great! It shows these people that we have an objective. We have a purpose and it's important enough that we bring it up before they even have a testimony! And one thing I've learned is that it's better to feel awkward than to feel regret. Feeling awkward only lasts a little while and there are so many miracles that can come from those awkward situations. Miracles are endless. I just wish that everyone had the attitude of Steve. If he knows it's true he wants to be involved and share it! People! We have the TRUE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST!!!! We know the path to eternal
life and salvation!!!! And how many people really take full advantage of every missionary opportunity that's laid in front of them? Not many! I know I was horrible about that at home! But STOP IT! Why would you NOT want to share this amazing knowledge with people around you?! We ALL know someone who isn't fortunate enough to have the gospel in their lives! We all know a lost sheep who has strayed from the church! Invite them to meet with the missionaries! Invite them to church! Invite them to read the Book of Mormon! I don't care what you invitethem to do but INVITE THEM! How great will be your joy if you are the means of saving a single soul! Yes. It may be awkward. But maybe it won't be. President Francis always says that miracles happen on a daily basis and I can testify that they do! I know that with all of my heart! I've been keeping a little journal to list miracles that happen every day and guess what? They're limitless! Don't let regret even be an option! Share your light with someone who needs it! Your light won't grow dimmer by sharing, but it'll make the light in the world even brighter!
One last story! This was a huge miracle this week! I was serving at the Smith farm and this lady comes in (which in and of itself is a miracle because it's so slow now that it's almost winter). But her
name was Christine Johnson from Brigham City, Utah. We got to talking and this woman is so amazing! She told me that she's on what she calls her "quest". Her husband passed away on September 5 of this year and since September 18 she has been traveling, going to every single temple in the U.S. and Canada. So far she's been to 35. This woman is so strong and she taught me so much more than I think I taught her. She was such an inspiration. She's on her quest, but what quest are you on?
I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!
Love Sister Nield

No comments:

Post a Comment