{mis-sion-ary, [noun] someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others can be with theirs for eternity}

Monday, March 2, 2015

March Madness

March?! Already?!?! I can't believe it! But great things are ahead here in Buffalo! The Amherst ward is doing "Missionary March" where each day we go into a member's home and help them decide what kind of missionary work they want to accomplish within the next week as individuals or families and then we start their fast with them (obviously we can't fast everyday...) It was so amazing to be with one of the families last night and to hear the missionary work that they're already doing (this family is such a rockstar family! One of my favorites in the ward) and to see them have the desire to take their work one step further! And to do that each night with a different family is going to bring about some SERIOUS miracles!
Oh and last Tuesday we had 2 members of the Seventy come for our iPad training. I was a bit nervous that it was going to be a boring meeting all about the ipads and telling us all the things that we weren't doing right. Boy was I wrong! When Elder Evans got up to speak, the first thing he said was "If I, as a special witness of Jesus Christ, were to stand up here and only talk to you about iPads, I would be forever wrong. This isn't about iPads. This has nothing to do with iPads really. It has everything to do with your salvation and your desire to be a better, more dedicated disciple of Christ." WOW! It was such a good meeting about how we've been trusted by the Lord more than any other missionary in the history of the church with these tools that we're using. What am I doing with that trust? Am I showing the Lord that He Can trust me?  One thing that I thought was so interesting is that he said: "The mission field is the place where the Lord is seeing fit to strengthen you against the temptations of the world. The temptations with technology will never go away but if we can teach you NOW, you'll be better fit to overcome those temptations for the rest of your life and not only that but you'll know how to use technology for the purpose that it was really invented. To further the work of the Lord." I received so much revelation on how to better use the iPad as a tool but more than anything, I walked away from that meeting with a stronger testimony of our Savior. Those men really are special witnesses and what a blessing it was to be in their presence!
 
Highlight from this week: We met with Steve a few times. One of my favorite things in the whole world is being able to see someone's countenance change even just over a short period of time because of the gospel! The first time we knocked on Steve's door he was very adamant on how corrupt organized religion was and even after 5 minutes of bearing testimony I could see him softening. Now, a few weeks later, he's read the Book of Mormon so consistently, he's been to the church and family history center, we took him on a tour of the church building and we've kept daily contact with him. The light in his eyes keeps getting brighter and brighter. This last week he was talking about how empty other churches feel when you go inside and I asked how he felt while he was at our church. His response almost put me in tears. He said "The first things that come to mind is how homey it feels and how simplistic it is. I don't think God wants His church to be a big show." Man, this man who's known about the church for about 3 weeks has had such a change of heart and it makes my heart melt to think about it!:) He's thought a lot about baptism and says he will when he's ready, but that he likes everything he's seen and heard so far!
Transfers are next week and I'm hoping that I can stay so I can see him be baptized, but no matter what happens, as long as he gets baptized, I'll be so happy! The members that we've had come with us to lessons have really clicked with him and it was so cool to see the other day when Brother Lamb (who's a convert) was so bold. Without hesitation, when we talked about baptism, he said "Steve, this is THE SINGLE most important decision you'll ever make in your life." 

I know that this is the Lord's work and I feel so blessed to play a small role in it! I am so grateful to be able to see the lives of so many people change and to see them become the people God wants them to be! I know that the Lord puts us in specific places for a reason. Wherever you are right now, you're where the Lord needs you!

Have a great week!
 
 
Choose the Right!
Love Sister Nield
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment