{mis-sion-ary, [noun] someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others can be with theirs for eternity}

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

My Joy is Full

Oh what a week! The ups and downs of missionary work make this experience quite an emotional roller coaster! But it's so true that the greater sorrow we feel, the greater our capacity is to feel joy! I've seen both this week!
This Sunday, Sister Locher and I were getting everything prepared for Becky's baptism this weekend. We talked to the ward council to make sure she had home and visiting teachers, we talked about getting her involved with family history work so we can get her to the temple asap. And 20 minutes before church started, she texted to tell us she couldn't make it... She had to go to the ER for a pulled muscle in her back. Sister Locher and I were so broken hearted! We were so happy that she was going to be able to make it and we were teaching the lesson in sunday school and we were planning on introducing her to her visiting teachers. Satan has really been working so hard to keep her from getting baptized! We moved the date back a few weeks to make sure we can get her to come consistently. But it'll all work out! I've really learned to trust God's plan!
Since she wasn't able to go to church, she also wasn't able to go to the Nashville Tribute concert that night! So we found another one of our investigators to go with us and we rode up with a member who's leaving on her mission in a month and then met our investigator there! It was seriously like a dream come true for me!:) The Nashville Tribute Band is our missions favorite band, especially for their tribute to Joseph Smith! We had so much fun and it was a nice way to feel happy after being devastated earlier that day! 
Monday was another really happy day! We were able to do exchanges with the Geneva sisters and I was able to be with Sister Eyre, who I had done exchanges with in Gowanda when I was serving in Amherst. It was really cool for both of us to see the changes that we've both had over the last couple months! It's always fun getting to talk to the sisters about what they're favorite part of their mission has been and what they've learned! All these sisters are so wonderful and they set such a good example for me! I'm so glad that I get to learn from them! It's helped me to be a better missionary! 
As much as I love exchanges, I really love being sister Locher's companion! We have so much fun together and we're both praying that I don't get transferred! We've become such good friends and we just work so well together and it makes the work so much better when you can do it with your best friend! 
We had interviews with President yesterday. We talked a lot about how things have been going and he always knows exactly what to say! Whether it's to help me be motivated to be better, or to help me be happier, or whatever it is.
This week I've learned that even when things are frustrating and even when it can be extremely discouraging, that there are ALWAYS reasons to find joy. The Lord blesses us with so many tender mercies and with so many opportunities to find joy and happiness, it's just up to us to look for them. We can either be like the purple tulip who gets droopy really quickly, or we can be like the yellow tulip who's perky and happy. It all depends on where we focus our energy. Do we look for the things that frustrate us? Do we find ourselves being unable to focus on the positives? Or do we look for the good in all situations? I was reading in the Book of Mormon the other day and I was reading in one of my favorite chapters (Alma 26). Ammon and his brothers all went out to preach the gospel and along the way they all faced some pretty intense struggles, they were so depressed that they wanted to turn around and go home, but as they relied on the Lord, they were able to experience more joy than they knew was possible.
11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boastof my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
There may be hard times, but like Ammon says, "MY JOY IS FULL, YEAN, MY HEART IS BRIM WITH JOY, AND I WILL REJOICE IN MY GOD." Love you all and hope you have a great week!
Love Sister Nield








 

No comments:

Post a Comment