{mis-sion-ary, [noun] someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others can be with theirs for eternity}

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Why Am I Even Here?

Another great week! What a wonderful place I live in! I can't get over how lucky I am to serve in such a sacred place! So many sacred things happened here and because of what goes on here daily, it's still sacred!
One challenge of this area is the number of fleas we see. Almost every home we go into has some animal(s) that's infested in the little critters... We got rid of the flea infestation in the White House about a month ago and SURPRISE! I woke up this morning with flea bites on my stomach and ankles... How they got to my stomach I'm not sure... but it's a little upsetting.
Also.. 'Tis the season for snow! We had our first snowfall last weekend and I couldn't decide whether to be so happy at how beautiful it is or cry at the fact that it's time to pull out the leggings.. Haha I guess there's some battles you can't choose!
I had a very eye opening experience this week that caused me to think and ponder "Why am I even here?" We've been working a lot with Norma's son Randy, and we took him to the Joseph Smith Farm and Sacred Grove this week. We really wanted him to understand that God knows him and that He'll answer his prayers! We were in the Log Home and we were upstairs, where the angle Moroni appeared and Randy just kept challenging everything we were saying, just to be difficult. We kept bearing testimony of the things that happened here. The more he'd challenge it, the more I had a little bit of frustration and impatience growing inside me. I promise, that despite how it sounds from this lesson, we all actually get along quite swimmingly. Finally he said "Why did you come here? Why is it so important for you to tell me about these things?" MAN! That question just hit me like a ton of bricks. Why AM I here? Why IS it so important to help him understand the restoration of the gospel? I'm so grateful for the challenge to "ponderize" in conference this month, because last week I was really focusing on 2 Nephi 31:20 
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastnessin Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a loveof God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
 So I read that to him, but the most important part comes in verse 21. 
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is theway; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen There is NO other way to salvation. As I told him this it REALLY opened his heart! He took a big step back and realized that there may be something to the things we'd talked about. But also, it taught me something. I've always known how important this gospel was. I've always known this is the way. But it really hit me that THAT is why I'm here! I know that i have a responsibility to help my brothers and sisters know the way to return to live with our Heavenly Father again! I have a responsibility to bring others to Christ. We all have that responsibility. We have been given the greatest blessing there is on this earth and we have a responsibility to help our brothers and sisters to find that as well. I'd never been that bold with anyone before, but because I was bold, both Randy and I learned something pretty powerful!
Our Heavenly Father loves us all SO much and He's provided the way to return to Him! That way is through His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ! How grateful I am for the knowledge of that love. It brings such comfort to know that we are NEVER alone!
I love you all and I love this gospel with my whole heart! 
Have a great week!
Love Sister Nield

 

No comments:

Post a Comment